Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Shanghai....Its nice to be back...and the smelly ang mor

I'm back in Shanghai.........its great to be back!!

When the plane landed on the tarmac, I had only ONE feeling:
Elation!!!!

For several reasons:
1) Because I could get out of the plane...............
Well, you see, I tried to do an internet check-in (the night before the flight), so that I could get myself my "standard" aisle seat. I don't care left or right or centre, I just wanted to get a seat with at least no one on ONE of my sides. Is that soo much to ask for?!?!?

BUTTTTTTTTT the flight was so full that I only managed to get a middle seat!!! (I think everybody just WISED up and started booking their seats online via internet.) Naturally I was rather irritated but I thought....its only a 5 hour flight, should be manageable......... Boy, was I wrong.

When I boarded the plane, my first realization was that I would be sandwiched between 2 rather BIG guys. If you think that is bad enough and it couldn't get any worse, you would be so wrong. The next thing I realize was that the ang moh on my left smelt soooooooooooooooooo BAD. It was like every time he exhaled through his mouth, I'm wondering to myself if life is worth living at all.

At one point in time, I figure that I was better off just killing myself by smashing my head on the screen or just jumping out of the plane.

I mean, seriously dude, shower or something!!!

I think it was pretty obvious because I was SOOO not in my chatty mood, in fact, I was bordering between absolute BITCHINESS or complete MADNESS (in which both ways I would end up killing him and throwing his carcass out of the plane.)

Towards the end of the flight, he "waddled" over to the toilet and I think he poured the entire cologne bottle on himself, because the smell was OVERPOWERING when he returned. Everyone should know that bad smell and cologne just don't mix so well!!! It made it even worse....that cheapskate and smelly guy.

Fortunately, the Chinese guy on my right was VERY gentlemanly and well, minimally, he smelt all right. :P So I naturally "gravitated" to his side and I'm pretty sure he could understand how i felt because he gave me that "knowing" smile.

If the flight wasn't so full, I would have demanded a change of seats!!

2) Fantastic weather and the lure of Shanghai magic....my second home.

Anyway, the weather in Shanghai was fantastic. About 16 degrees on average. It's great to be back in Shanghai, after all I've regarded this place as my second home for the past 3 years. It is great to be back to see the familiar buildings, cars all over shanghai, although this time, I'm strictly THE "OUTSIDER". I miss Shanghai!

3) Wonderful friends and colleagues
It's been a couple of months since I've seen my friends and colleagues. So many things have changed! The office has been relocated to a location that is quite far away from the old office. New location, new building...old faces and old friends.

It's great to be back!

No comments: