Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Feminism......does not allow me to accept.....

Merriam Webster Dictionary:
Feminism
1 : the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes

2 : organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests

I used to be quite the feminist when I was younger. At a young age of 10, I would try to “brainwash” my younger brother to agree with me that: “All man and woman are born equal. The only difference whether they succeed in life is whether they work hard for their goals”. I was so successful that my 6 year old brother could chant this sentence on demand. :)

However, today – reading the online news during lunch time (yes! I'm still skipping lunch because my GOD I have so much more pounds to shed!!) I'm acutely aware that in other parts of the world, woman are still persecuted for –to me- absurd reasons.

Title of the article: Pakistani woman in hiding despite Islamic sex law change
Summary in points: Refer to article Today Online Article

1) Pakistan have recently overhauled its existing Islamic sex laws.
*clap clap clap*
Need to share this, this is funny
-an example of the Islamic sex laws distinguishing between rape and adultery as follows –
Formerly rape victims had to produce 4 MUSLIM MALE witness to prove allegations. Otherwise, they may be charged for adultery and if convicted, face the penalty of death by STONING.

Wah KAO! I mean, if she can even find ONE witness (muslim or non muslim, male or female), she would probably NOT be raped right! NND, truckload of cow manure.

2) Despite this Quratulain Sattar, 25 year old medical trainee, still needs to worry. Her story as follows:
a. Quratulain Sattar’s father is accusing her and her current husband on charges of adultery. This is because Quratulain refused to marry her COUSIN in a forced marriage.
b. QS’s father
i. Has previously detained the husband’s parents to force him to divorce her.
ii.Produced false witnesses to say that QS has been kidnapped and is already married.
c. Pakistan’s religious party Jamaat-e-Islami supported the father when he pursued the case.
d. QS and husband is on the run and may have to leave Pakistan for their safety.

*takes a deep breathe*

Enough said. This is SICK SICK SICK……………………………

No comments: